Taxes, audits, filings can all be overwhelming and it can be difficult to know whom to call when the questions start to pile up. You can always contact the IRS directly with general questions about tax returns or even notices they may send you about past due balances. Sometimes it can be intimidating to talk directly to the IRS on such matters, especially when money is owed and you don’t have a way to pay it. When that becomes the case, contact a tax attorney to handle your tax issues and have them deal with the IRS for you. Here are some other situations where you might want to call for help.

  1. You received a ā€œCPā€ notice

A CP notice is usually a letter from the IRS informing you of taxes owed to the IRS, like the CP501 which is a reminder of a balance due. Not all CP notices have to do with a balance owed. A CP2000 is a letter generated by the IRS to inform a taxpayer that the income reported on their return does not match a third party’s reporting (like an employer) and steps to correct the issue. Some notices are easy to understand and easy to follow the recommended course of action but others are full of legal jargon. If you have any trouble deciphering the meaning of a notice or what you should do next, don’t hesitate to ask a tax lawyer.

  1. You are being audited

Being audited isn’t always a bad thing. Audit’s are sometimes computer generated and if everything on your tax return is correct then there isn’t anything to worry about. Audits can also be initiated if data on the return does not match what third parties (like information provided by and employer) might verify. An audit may lead to additional taxes being owed. If you are being audited by the IRS then you may need the advice of a tax attorney. A tax attorney can also help you settle you payment obligations to the IRS.

  1. The IRS is pursuing criminal charges

If you are facing criminal charges, then you definitely need to contact a tax attorney to represent you and help protect your rights. Criminal charges are usually the result of tax evasion or tax fraud and there is no reason to face this alone. A tax attorney may be able to help you lessen the consequences you are facing.

A tax lawyer can contact the IRS on your behalf with power of attorney privileges, saving you from ever having to stress out about them again in any of these situations. If your questions have to do with tax returns and deductions then the best person to contact is a Certified Public Accountant or a tax specialist at the IRS.